Monday, July 21, 2008

Football season almost here......


The Big 12 Media Days start here in KC today and go through Wed. I'm looking forward to the season since there are many story lines and many unknowns. Can KU and MU repeat what they did last year with targets on their backs? Can NU be competitive with a new regime led by Bo Peep? How will Chizik do in his second year and can Hawk lead CU to better things with his son entering his second year at starter at QB and with the #1 RB in the country coming in? And of course, how will K-State be in Prince's third year and with the fans getting antsy? I think the North will be better than the South this year. I think MU and KU will repeat their 2007 performances, I think ISU will be improved, but may not show it in the W/L columns yet, CU will surprise some people and KSU will be competitive and maybe win some games they shouldn't. I think KU will win the North, followed by MU, CU, KSU, ISU, and NU. That's right, NU dead last.
KSU is going to honor the 1998 team throughout the year this year, so I'm hoping to make it to some games, but it all depends on how the kids are doing this fall with their schedules. I'd really like to make it to the first game, they are inducting some players into the Ring of Honor, including Terence Newman, Mark Simoneau, Martin Gramatica and David Allen - some very special players under Snyder. Don't know if we'll see players of that caliber again. They deserve the honor. Speaking of that 1998 team, I've never seen a more competitive player on a field, court, diamond, etc. than Michael Bishop, except for Micheal Jordan. Bishop plain and simple hated to lose, not just a game, but individual plays and one-on-one against a defender. He used to run over defenders which is unusual for a QB. Anyhoo, the guy was a physical freak who could run over defenders and throw it 100 yards.
Let's see what kind of BS comes from the next few days. I'm interested to hear what Prince has to say, especially after an interview he had a few months ago claiming that he was going to play a certain type of defense that was "revolutionary" and "futuristic" and was going to change the way defense will be played in the future. I've never heard of such crap before. Knowing him, instead of playing a 4-3 or a 3-4, he'll probably play a 1-1-9.

1 comment:

Ted said...

I think MU will win the north, I don't think KU can repeat that type of season playing the 'hard' south schedule this year. God I hope you are right about NU finishing last.

Speaking of a potential 1-1-9 defense... I have thought about that don't think it would be a bad idea on passing downs. Heck, may as well drop 11 back. Those 3 linemen rushing against 5 linemen are usually a waste anyway!